What I didn’t tell you in my last post is that we put an offer on Option #1 immediately after viewing it. It has everything we want and more. We had driven to this community and looked at houses before, but they sell fast, so when we found out this one was sold conditional on the purchasers selling their own home, we asked to view it.
Hard to tell, though, which way people will go. Put in this position ourselves, we would waive the condition and leap – but that’s us.
“There were competing offers at the time,” the realtor warns us. “They fought for this house.”
So we let it go and set our hopes on the lake, knowing that Option #2 would serve if nothing else did.
“When did you know that this wasn’t for us?” Ric asked me on the drive home from the lake. “I knew right away. Too many hidden costs. I felt like I was being taken for a ride.”
I hadn’t known. I was looking for a solution that would compensate for losing the first house. We stopped for dinner in the second town, and then drove around the neighbourhood, orienting ourselves.
Option #2 it would be. Budget wise, this was the best choice.
“I like that the backyard is private,” I stated. We’d picked out the unit we wanted. Tomorrow if the sales office was open, we’d make an offer.
“Maybe we should wait?” I dared to suggest. “Maybe another house will come up in the town we want.”
“No. We need to take care of this now.”
We lingered over our morning beverages, he on his screen, me on mine. Then, just after noon, he decided to cut the grass, while I decided it was a good day to clean the motor home. At 2:15, his phone rang. I answered.
“How did you like the Bluffs?” the realtor asked.
“Well…it was interesting,” I answered, trying to be tactful. I elaborated on costs, size, facilitates, lack of maintenance.
“Good thing it’s not a problem for you then,” she said and my breath froze on the intake. “The house is yours! Drop by the office tomorrow and we’ll firm up the paperwork.”
We take possession August 1st. In the meantime, we’ve got some work to do.